News

Opening of the German War Cemetery in Tatura.

by
August 15, 2017

Opening of the German War Cemetery in Tatura.

Opening of the German War Cemetery in Tatura.

The pictured scenes from the Lost Tatura Facebook page show the opening of the German War Cemetery after it was removed from the Presbyterian section of the Tatura Cemetery.

The new German War Cemetery was officially inaugurated on Sunday, November 16, 1958, by the West German ambassador Dr Hans Mahlenfeld, and was witnessed by almost 1000 people.

A German male choir from Melbourne attended and the proceedings included the national anthems of Australia and Germany.

Several wreaths were laid on each of the headstones by school children as well as posies of flowers, predominantly Germany’s national flower — the blue cornflower.

When the German War Cemetery was established, remains were brought from all over Australia for re-burial.

â– Each week we take ‘A Look Back at Tat’. Send your historical photos to [email protected]

news.com.au with a brief description and help to keep the town’s memories alive.

By
More in Tatura Guardian
Login Sign Up

Dummy text